Lollipops are a favorite with both kids and adults; whether you prefer a classic crystal stick or a mouth-puckering sour charm pop, lollipops are a fun and tasty treat that keep little hands from getting too sticky. Do you know the weight of the largest lollipop ever created? Or how about the secret behind the Dum Dum Pop’s mystery flavor? Learn the answers to these questions and more in today’s blog!
Fun lollipop facts
- Lollipops have been around for a very long time. Ancient African and Asian societies created fruit and nut treats that they candied in honey, which acted as a natural preservative. They inserted a stick into the treats to make them easier to eat.
- The lollipops we know and love today began to emerge in the 17th century. As sugar became more widely affordable and available, Europeans enjoyed creating boiled sugar confections and they also inserted sticks to keep the treats from getting their hands sticky.
- In 1908, the first lollipop machine was created. It automated the process of placing hard candy on sticks – the machine could create more than 2,000 lollipops every hour!
- The Dum Dum Pop’s mystery flavor isn’t such a mystery. It is created when a batch of one flavor is running out and they begin a new one in the same vat, so you never know which two flavors will be combined!
- In 2012, the world’s largest lollipop was created in California. A candy manufacturer made a chocolate-flavored lollipop that stood over 5 feet tall and weighed more than seven thousand pounds!
- The label for Chupa Chup lollipops was designed and illustrated by the famed surrealist artist Salvador Dali.
- Tootsie Roll is the largest manufacturer of lollipops: they produce over 16 million sweet suckers every single day!
- Dum Dum lollipops were given their name because the inventor felt it would be an easy name for children to pronounce and remember.
Got a lollipop craving? Visit Wockenfuss Candies today!
If you have any questions about Wockenfuss Candies’ line of lollipops, please contact us: call 1-800-296-4414 or email info@Wockenfusscandies.com.
Wockenfuss Candies, a family-owned business now in its fifth generation, is proud to be one of the oldest candy makers in Baltimore. We’re continuing to grow, but the family is still very involved in every aspect of what we do.